Thursday, September 22, 2011

Last few days

Sept. 17 2011
Returning to Chikumbuso, we are welcomed by the women.  We flock to the handmade bags crocheted from recycled plastic bags, all unique in different colors and patterns, while the women in the other room watch us - hopeful that we will pick their bag.  The sale of every bag supports families affected by HIV, and a portion goes to the artist herself.  After purchasing my bags I seat myself on the floor against the wall among the women.  The woman next to me says they have been weaving bags here for approx. 7 years since Chicumbuso opened in 2005.  She tells me she is very happy working here and grateful to Chikumbuso for supporting her. 
They start singing together - I'm not sure if its for us - I get the feeling they sing often while they work.  In perfect harmony their voices blend together in an orchestra of strength; forming a shield of spiritual protection from the storm of HIV they face every day.  They take turns getting up and doing a little dance, giggling with every move.  After each woman finishes dancing - celebratory hoots and hollers follow.

Sept 19, 2011
This morning I walked to Birdland School from our hotel - about 1 mile away. With presidential elections tomorrow I can feel the energy in the air - - excitement mixed with anxious concern over whether the voting process will be fair. We spoke to Mrs. Mumba upon arriving at Birdland about the elections and she said she is very concerned about the ballots.  They discovered in the past week that the quality of paper does not hold ink well and when folded, becomes illegible.  This is a problem as ballots mist be folded to fit into the ballot box.  Could be another ploy by the government or simply an overlooked issue and lack of finances for good paper. 
I explained to Olive I had come to meet the girls we sponsored, Zelesi, Betty and Lisa.  Since I'd already met Lisa, she called Zelesi and Betty out of class.  I chatted with both girls who were very timid, it was probably intimidating for them to meet their "sponsor", but they were happy to take a photo with me.  Zelesi, who is 7th grade, loves math, English and science, while Betty's favorite subjects are English and social studies. 



A perfect ending to my trip!  Now I'm ready for my 30 hours of flying, and can't wait to sleep in my own bed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment